Saturday, April 14, 2012

Raise Your Hand When You Want to Change the Subject


Every semester, I always debate whether or not to mention that I'm deaf when classes begin, and so far, I've always let my instructors know that I'm deaf. Although I'm documented with the school's office of disability services as a student with a disability, I've never actually used any accommodations because I never felt the need. I simply let instructors know that I am deaf and will not likely use accommodations, but may do so if I face any unforseen challenges. What could be wrong with this picture?

I became deaf just before middle school. Now I'm in grad school and can finally hear the teacher in class with my cochlear implant without the need for additional assistive technology or other accommodations. Do I hear everything? No. There's always a student in the back of the class in the cornter that I can't understand. And I'm sure that I miss a thing or two that the teacher says. But to me, being able to understand most, but not all, of the instruction and dialogue is good enough and I'm happy with what I do hear. One of the reasons that I wanted the cochlear implant was because I knew one day I would return to school and I thought the implant would make it easier -- and it has. I'm thrilled to be able to sit down in class and understand the teacher.

However, not all the instructors seem to react so positively.

In one class, I would raise my hand and not get called on. Then I wrote a paper in which my grade was 20 points higher than the average grade in the class on the project. After that, the teacher began to call on me.

This semester, I got an A on my paper. I had my hand up numerous times during a discussion in which I had a lot of opinion. I was called on just once, although others in the class were called on repeatedly during the conversation.

I don't like to blurt out responses in class because I prefer to clearly have the conversational ball.
But what does it take to get called on and participate?

The solution to this situation is:
a) Nothing. It is all in my imagination.
b) I should disclose my disability only if I need an accommodation.
c) Do my homework and keep quiet in class.
d) Stop writing multiple choice questions!
e) None of the above

No comments: