Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What does it mean?


As I come to the end of the grad school marathon, I feel like I should stop and reflect on the experience. Did I learn anything? What did I learn? What does it mean to me?
Grad school is an achievement in overcoming life circumstances
I had children in my mid-twenties and by the time I turned 30, I had two toddlers. I entered a graduate program after college, but instead chose to begin a family. I enjoyed my family and my career, but I always longed to go back to school, and I knew that when the time was right, that I would do so. My dad was the relative who really helped our family. He helped pay for our house, our children’s education, and a small amount of money was put aside for my education. Years later, I knew the time was right and what I wanted to study and I embarked on a now-or-never-journey.

If I have any regrets, it’s not being able to get my Ph.D., an ambition that has always been in the back of my mind. I always kept my grade point high because I wanted to keep the door open. But I don’t think I have the stamina for 7 more years of study, and I would die in debt, which is not an appealing prospect. Then I think about the practicalities of the degree. Where would it really fit in with my career?
Most of all, I feel that I’m living my life backward. First children and marriage, then school. And now, as a new grad, I’ll launch into my (sort of) young life! We’ll see how it goes!!
Grad school is a celebration of hearing
One of the reasons that I got the cochlear implant is because I knew that one day I would go back to school, and I thought it would make life easier.

I feel like I missed so much of my education. I sat in front of the classroom and was expected to speechread (a skill I was trying to learn) and never heard anything from middle school onward. In college, I used an FM system for the first time, which helped greatly, but it meant that I had to wear a device and could only hear the teacher and not the discussion.
After I got the cochlear implant, I would always go to my kid’s “American Education Week” where parents can sit in the classroom. I got the biggest kick out of being able to hear the teacher and understand the classroom dialogue. My kids were in middle and high school then and didn’t always appreciate having their mother in the classroom. They told me that I couldn’t live my life through them and I had to stop going! I said I deserved “compensatory education” in special ed parlance.

Grad school is my compensatory education! I always love that I can sit in the classroom and hear the teacher and follow the discussion. Of course, I can’t do these things perfectly and I know I miss things. But I feel that I understand most of what is said, and that’s fine with me. I make school so much easier – I don’t have to rely on reading the textbook for all of my understanding. I can listen to what the instructor is saying.
I’m so warped. The opportunity to hear in the classroom is a thrill of a lifetime that never grows old. Just like the thrill of going to the hearing the movies… or hearing the elevator talk to you!
Grad school is learning about work and life
I’ve studied many topics that I never would have otherwise and I’ve read a lot of interesting books and journal articles. As I think back, I feel that I’ve been able to put into practice some of the skills that I’ve learned. I’ve also gained new insight into management, leadership and the dynamics of the work environment that have helped me a new perspective and context for my experiences. I have grown professionally.

Grad school is an academic accomplishment
I will graduate with high honors and I’ve been inducted into the Delta Mu Delta honor society for business and management.

Now, as I begin my last class, I just hope that I can enjoy what I’m learning, that I will not become too overstressed, and that I will finish strong.

Please pray for me.

No comments: