Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Accidental Gardener

I'm an accidental gardener. I never have any confidence in my ability to keep anything alive, so I buy a small perennial and plant it, never thinking that it will survive and grow, then I forget the name of the plant. Several years later, I have a big, beautiful, and nameless plant.


Here's to horticultural naming. I'm posting pictures and names of my plants so that I can remember what's there, particularly in the early spring when I have the urge to plant and no idea of what I already have.



This is my three-year-old peony. This year, I sprayed them in time to get rid of the bugs so they could bloom. I can't wait for them to be in full bloom.



A front view of my garden. Last year, someone -- who won't be named -- decided to prune the azalea foundation bushes in front of the railing. The problem is that azaleas can't be pruned and the bushes promptly died. Now, there's an empty space and a large root system underground, so I'm trying to think of what to plant in the back. Perhaps daylilies or some small azaleas would be a good choice.

In the front (left to right) catnip plant that reproduced to the center of the garden, in front is a small lavender plant, some groundcover that has little purple trumpet-like flowers that bloom in the spring. Along the front boarder, there are blue baloonflower plants. Next to that is thyme, chives in bloom with lavender flowers, an oregano plant, rosemary, and tarragon (I think), and in back of that is a flowering plant. Then there a big continuously blooming lavender plant.


My peonies are in front. Near the front along the sidewalk are some parsley plants and a yellow callalily, which just began blooming last summer. There are the old blooms of spring bulbs, a foxglove, two basil plants, and a nameless flowering plant. There are several plants with pink carnation-like flowers. I planted one last summer and like it so much I got more of the same this year.



The flowers give color to the garden, and the herbs are in my salad from spring to fall.

No comments: