Saturday, October 25, 2008

Inner Truth Scarf

These days, I just want to sit and knit, so I'm making an Inner Truth scarf by Laura Andersson. The pattern no longer seems to be publicly available on the Internet, so I won't print it here. The original pattern was made with a 100% cashmere aran yarn, which is hard to find, so I'm using the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn, a soft blend of wool, microfiber, and cashmere (that's machine washable) on size 10 needles. The grey color makes the scarf androgynous and suitable for any member of the family, like my husband and I who both want to wear it. I really like the horseshoe cable pattern with the smaller cables inside.





Here's a like to a better photo on Flickr.


The pattern calls for a left twist stitch on the opposite side of the scarf (you can see it right next to the seed stitch boarder), which is meant to provide some design interest on the wrong side.


For the longest time, I could never figure out how to make a left twist, and of course, I didn't want to ask anyone. Finally....I thought of YouTube!! And sure enough, I found a video to teach me how to do this stitch. YouTube is a patient teacher and doesn't complain if you need to repeat more than once.







The video shows that the first stitch is dropped, but when I tried it, I kept pulling out that stitch. I find it helpful to hold the first stitch between my thumb and forefinger as I knit into the back of the next stitch.

I'm enjoying the scarf, which has enough twists and turns to keep me interested, but I have the urge to knit a sweater next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful pattern and you have selected a lovely yarn in a go-with-everything color . . . I'm just sorry that I can't add my "I want that scarf" to your list as I live in the wrong climate!

Susan Elliott said...

I'm a knitter too. I always like a cable in a scarf and this one looks great. I'm glad you solved your problem...there is something for everyone on YouTube. I haven't figured out how to post a video I made myself on my blog yet. Maybe after Christmas....