Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Swimming in the Fridge

It seems like whenever something really good happens to me, then something really bad happens. I am now in the middle of a family crisis that won't be resolved for a while. Of course I've developed stress-related back pain and a slobbery cold. I went to a swim meet on Saturday in effort to get my mind off of the entire situation, as if I could think of anything else. But when I came back, it took a turn for the worse. Please say a prayer for the entire family.

I was so very much on the fence about whether to go to this meet at all, but my husband encouraged me to do so. About a half-hour before the online registration system closed, I signed up. Because I'd signed up so late, I thought for sure that I wouldn't get picked for a relay, which didn't bother me this time. Wrong! The coach must have put the relay teams together immediately after the registration system closed and found my name there. The relay was actually the highlight of the day. If I'm reading the results right, I swam a very fast 100 free. Because I have not been swimming regularly and because of my life events, I chose two shorter events, thinking that it would be easier. I swam a 50 breast for the first time which turned out reasonable, but then I swam a 50 free after the relay and was 4 seconds slower than my previous time. I'm not sure why. My entry and turn was pretty good, my stroke was better, and I didn't breathe too much.

Several other things worked out well at this meet and I achieved my goal of being more independent. The online entry system generated a meet program that was e-mailed to all participants in advance of the meet. The PA system and room acoustics were good and with the printed program, it was easy to follow along and know when I needed to be on deck. I walked up to the starters before the meet, introduced myself and explained that I'm deaf and requested a visual signal, which was no problem. They made a note of my events and my request and the visual signal helped me dive right in! Another highlight was when my coach teased me about my hearing loss. When we were lined up for the relay, he was there encouraging the two teams. "Did you hear what they said?" he asked me. I said no -- and realized the joke was on me. Of course he knew that I couldn't hear anything at all.

One of the best things about being on the swim team is the inspirational people I meet. Before the meet, I began chatting with a women who mentioned that she was swimming "unattached," meaning that she wasn't affiliated with a particular team. She'd swum years ago when she was in college, and now that here children were off in college themselves, she was taking up swimming again at two local pools. I was amazed. I wouldn't have been brave enough to navigate through an entire swim meet unless I had a team to be with. I hope she joins up to a team.

The meet was held at a pool with the room temperature of a refrigerator. Before long, I realized that everyone was cold, not just me. One team member came prepared with a fleece jacket to wear in between events, but noted that he's been to other meets at this location. The locker rooms had cold, clammy concrete floors and the only saving grace was the steamy, hot showers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan I'm glad you had a good time at the meet. I think the turn out was fantastic and everyone did good. I'm glad you like my little joke :-). Hope you and your back feel better! Also I have your team swim suit, so catch me when you get a chance.

Susan Elliott said...

Susan, I haven't seen you in a while and this post alludes to a family crisis. I just want you to know that I"m thinking of you and if you need someone to talk to, just email me. I hope whatever it is, works out for the best. I"m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers . Big hugs, Susan