Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crested Butte Cross Country Skiing


One of the neat things about Western State College is that they have a Wilderness Pursuits program that lets students do various types of outdoor activities like rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking, and camping -- for very little cost. This Saturday, they have cross country skiing for $15, which includes all equipment, lunch, instruction, and transportation. What a deal!

Of course, this is the time of year that my xc ski dreams begin. I've gone cross country skiing only once or twice, but every year I wish I could go again. One of my favorite vacations was a trip to Devil's Thumb Ranch. From looking at the web site, the resort seems to be expanded and upgraded from what I remember years ago. I don't remember any of the cabins as being that fancy and I certainly don't remember any spa. But the food was excellent and very natural, with brown eggs included in the breakfast buffet. Of course, I always order the most exotic thing on the menu. We went on a sleigh ride one afternoon where the hosts cooked s'mores and hot chocolate over a fire. Our kids would pet the horses in the field outside the cabin. I remember ice scating at night.

The first time we went cross country skiing, my husband and younger kid kept falling down and didn't enjoy it (although I dont' understand how you can possibly fall while cross country skiing because you just glide along), but my older son and I got the hang of it easily. My older son wanted to go skiing one night, but it was dark and there was snow falling and I was afraid we wouldn't find our way back, so we agreed to go out one more time on our last day there. My kids think it's lame, I still have the ski tag from that trip on my winter jacket.

Wish you were there!

No comments: